CORNED BEEF HASH & EGGS

Oh man! This is a great way to enjoy corned beef leftovers! I confess, I have never made corned beef hash. Like me, you may not know how a recipe will turn out, especially if you have never tried it. I am always optimistic at the outset and sometimes it turns out well and sometimes it doesn't. Since corned beef hash is such a great way to use up leftovers I really wanted to see if I could make it and here it is!

And yes, that is a homemade buttermilk biscuit you see on the plate in the photo above. Yes, it was tasty, and if I had the perfect recipe, I would share it with you. My mom made the world's best biscuits and I have been on a long quest to re-create that tender morsel of perfection. I'll let you know when I get there...

Now back to these lovely leftovers: this recipe is flexible and that means you can add more and different ingredients or cook your eggs separately or spice it up or tone it down to your liking.

For a printable version without photos, click here.

CORNED BEEF HASH & EGGS
Ingredients:
1-2 cups cooked corned beef, cut into cubes
2-4 cups cooked potatoes, cut into cubes
(if you do not have any leftover potatoes, peel 4-5 raw potatoes and cut into cubes and cook before you add any other ingredients; instructions for cooking potatoes is below)
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
2 eggs per person
salt & pepper

Directions:
Prep all your ingredients. Cut up the potatoes, onion, pepper and beef.












Now is the time to cook the potatoes if you have no leftovers. Cut the potato in half across the shorter diameter. Make 1/2 inch slices and then cut those slices into 1/2 inch cubes:
Put the cubed potatoes on a clean, dry dishtowel and wrap them up so the towel absorbs the liquid.
Heat a large dutch oven (large, heavy pan with high sides and tight-fitting lid), add 3 tablespoon oil and allow the oil to heat up. Dump all the potatoes into the pan (stand back to avoid any hot oil splash) and stir to evenly distribute. Allow the potatoes to brown for a few minutes on high heat. Carefully stir to mix the cubes so all sides have a chance to brown. Allow to brown for a few minutes, add a little salt and pepper, then turn the heat to low and cover. This is gonna be good!
While the potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Let the oil get hot and saute the onions and bell peppers over medium-low heat. Stir to keep them from sticking or burning. After about 3 or 4 minutes, the vegetables will be softer and you can add the cubed corned beef.

Check the potatoes after about 8 to 10 minutes, they should be tender. Add the potatoes (use your leftover cubed potatoes or the newly cooked potatoes) to the vegetables and meat skillet and stir to evenly distribute. If you used cold leftover potatoes, allow them to heat through and then turn the heat down to low. If you are using newly cooked potatoes, just mix together and turn the heat down to low.
 
Make an opening in the middle of the mixture.
I use a non-stick skillet for eggs. If you don't have a non-stick skillet, be sure to add a little oil or butter to the pan so the eggs will not stick.

Crack the eggs into a small bowl and pour them carefully into the center of the skillet and cover with a lid. Allow to cook for a few minutes until the white is set or longer if you prefer.
Carefully transfer the mixture to a plate and serve with your favorite toast, biscuit or muffin!

If your recipe for corned beef hash differs from this one, I will not be surprised. After searching through my cookbooks and the internet, I saw a different version for each source. So, with that in mind, you can modify this recipe to suit your preferences.

For example, I really don't like the bitterness of green bell peppers so I use red, orange or yellow ones instead. If you prefer red onions instead of yellow, by all means, use what you like! If you prefer, use ham instead of corned beef.

Some recipes suggested poaching or frying the eggs separately from the hash. Well, I suppose that would work as well. It would be easier if you are cooking for a larger crowd. I usually cook for one or two people, with extra for leftovers. Most of my recipes can be adjusted for larger groups.

Try this yourself and let me know how it turns out by leaving a comment below. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment