TENDER BAKED MEATBALLS

So easy to make and versatile to use in many different ways. This recipe makes 36 meatballs that are two inches in diameter. Make a batch of these and freeze some for next time. Good in pasta dishes with a red sauce, on a meatball sandwich, as an appetizer with a marinara dipping sauce, sliced on a pizza or what ever you like.

To make shopping easier, use my handy printed shopping list. Click on the Shopping List tab above and you can print the pdf document.

For a printable version of this recipe without photos, click here.

MEATBALLS 

Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon each:
  salt, pepper, dried thyme, dried poultry seasoning, dried oregano, dried basil, freshly grated nutmeg
2 eggs
2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 Tablespoons olive oil

Directions:
Measure the bread crumbs in a large measuring cup and pour enough milk over to just moisten them. Set aside.
Put the beef in a large bowl. Prep and add the following ingredients:
  • finely chop the onion
  • measure the spices
  • push garlic through a press

Now grate the cheese and add the moistened bread crumbs and eggs to the large bowl.

Squeeze the lemon juice all over everything.

Using clean hands, gently mix everything together. Do not overwork the mixture, that will make it tough.
Cover with plastic or a clean cloth and put into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Next, lightly oil a 9 x 13" baking dish. I used a glass baking dish, but you can use metal if you prefer.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. After 30 minutes, remove meat mixture from refrigerator. Shape into 2 inch balls. Gently roll the mixture between your palms to shape a ball. Do not press it tightly. this is the key to tender instead of tough meatballs. For the meatballs to cook evenly, keep the size consistent. I used an ice cream scoop, but you can use a large spoon or just eyeball it.
Place the meatballs side-by-side in the baking dish.
Place into the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take one out and cut it open to see it is done. If all the pink color is gone, the meatballs are done. If you prefer a browner meatball, return it to the oven for another 10 minutes.
This recipe makes 36 two inch meatballs. Use some now and freeze the rest for another recipe. Try them with a tomato-based sauce with pasta; or baked with sauce, cheese and pasta; on a roll with sauce and cheese for a sandwich; sliced up on a pizza or with a dipping sauce for a party appetizer.
NOTE: this recipe can also be a meatloaf. Just shape the entire mixture into a loaf and place in a large baking dish. Do not use a loaf pan, it will not brown evenly and will just sit in a pool of grease. Top the meatloaf with a tomato-based sauce, mustard glaze or your favorite topping.
Try this recipe and let me know how it turns out. I'd love to hear from you, just leave a comment below.

Confident Cook on Foodista

18 comments:

  1. I'd love to try this at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im a huge meatball fan and I love trying out new recipes. Im saving this one so I could try it soon.
    If you won't mind I'd love to guide foodista readers to your site.Just add your choice of Foodista widget at the end of this blog post and it's good to go.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a meatball I like to try making one for my kids, they simple like this type of food on the weekend.
    A sure way to keep them long on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful and delicious recipe,I'd love to try this at home. thanx for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These meatballs were awesome! I made them for a marinara sauce. They were soft, but not too soft; juicy but not too wet;... plenty of flavor and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words! I hope you enjoy this recipe. I recently made this recipe into a meatloaf and recommend you try that as well. Be sure to use a lower fat content for the meatloaf, say 10-15% fat.
    -Kelly, Confident Cook

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to try making one for my kids, they simple like this type of food on the weekend. A sure way to keep them long on the table, thanx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Kara! This is an easy recipe and fun to make. Enjoy!
    -Kelly, Confident Cook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to try making one for my kids, they simple like this type of food on the weekend. A sure way to keep them long on the table. thanx for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, delisious recipe, I'd love to try this at home. thanx for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They were very good meatballs. i used half milk and half water. they are so moist and tender. next time i will stuff with mozz cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea, you really help me complete my dish. This meatballs will complete my favorite spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome! wasn't sure about the water but they came out great. Used ground beef and pork and broiled. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made my spaghetti with meatballs. Its truly yummy, it makes the spaghetti more delicious..I love to make meatballs at home. Nice post!Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, This is an easy recipe and fun to make. Enjoy! looking forward.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm making Ziti and meatballs and was wondering can I make up the meatballs and put them in the crock pot with the sauce and will they cook through or should I bake them in the oven first. I wanted to simmer them for a few hours so they'll be tender and full of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I was choosing a recipe this looked the easiest so naturally I was concerned about tastiness. This is one tasty meatball hands down BEST meatball I have EVER tasted. I followed recipe exact. Thank you Julie62.

    ReplyDelete
  18. very, very, good! I added Parmesan cheese, oregano, salt/pepper, a little bit of water, and some onion, and these turned out fabulous. My family had been nervous about the ground turkey, but they loved it. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete